one of my favorite fast food dishes is the falafel sandwich from my home kebap house. just fried falafel, crisp flat bread, hummus, salad, yogurt sauce… . at least once a week I just have to get this amazing treat. since I love falafel, but neither own a frier nor wanna spread oil all over the stove when frying them in a pan, I tried and succeded in making oven-baked falafel.
vegan soul food
if you prepare oven-baked falafel yourself, they are not fast food anymore but they are a little more healthy and at least as delicious. then you’ve got the choice on how to create your final dish: a falafel sandwich? a salad topping? or maybe one of those hyped buddah bowls? the perfect dishes for beautiful spring and warm summer day, right?
that’s exactly why I’ll stop writing right now: the sun is shining and I wanna go outside again. 😉 but maybe you wanna tell me, what’s your favorite way of eating those delicious falafel?
- 200 g chickpeas, drained
- 15 g red onion
- 1 little garlic glove
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp paprika powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley
- olive oli
- preheat oven to 175 °C /350 °F.
- pre-mince onion and garlic.
- blend all ingredients and let the "dough" sit for 10-15 minutes.
- cover a baking tray with parchment paper and sprinkle it with olive oil.
- form six falafel and set them on the parchment paper.
- bake for about 20 minutes, flipping them over after 15 minutes so the second side can brown as well.
and as a side? pita, tortillas, hummus, salad, ...
caution! I used self-cooked chickpeas an to my knowledge the canned ones won't hold together as well - hence add 1,5 tbsp flour and a pinch of baking powder just to be sure.